PEBBLE BEACH, Calif. – After last year’s U.S. Open debacle at Shinnecock Hills, where Phil Mickelson received a two-stroke penalty for purposely hitting a moving ball on a green, the five-time major winner had been conspicuously quiet so far this week on the subject of Pebble Beach’s course setup.
That changed after his third-round 75.
Despite yet again playing himself out of a shot at the only major title that has eluded him during his hall-of-fame career, Mickelson couldn’t have been more complimentary of the USGA on Saturday.
“I’ve got to hand it to the USGA for doing a great setup. It’s the best I’ve ever seen. And it’s identifying the best players. It’s making the players the story,” Mickelson said. “I think the biggest thing was pin placements, instead of putting them right on the edges, they were in good spots, rewarding great shots. I can’t say enough great things about how this week has gone so far. And I’m appreciative to the effort they’ve put in and for the opportunity that I had this week.”
U.S. Open: Full-field scores | Full coverage
It was a refreshing about-face for Mickelson, who hasn’t been shy about his disdain for typical U.S. Open course setups, bashing the USGA as recently as a couple of weeks ago.
“I just think that you’ve got to give credit when they do a good job like this. They’ve done a great job,” he added. “There have been many times where one or two yards difference in hole location would have made a world of difference, given the conditions being so tough. And this week they’ve done a good job in doing that.”
After entering Moving Day at 1 under and in position to make a weekend charge, Mickelson could only muster one birdie on his front nine before he struggling coming home, culminating his round with triple-bogey 8 on the 18th hole.
“I’ll come out tomorrow and play as well as I can. But today was the day I needed to go low. I played well enough to do it. I had many opportunities. Didn’t putt well. Didn’t get them to go in. I left them short the whole time. And then I finished poorly,” he said. “For the most part I really enjoyed this week. I’ve had a lot of fun testing my game, testing myself mentally, my physical game. And it’s been a fun challenge.”
Credit: Source link
The final road trip of the FIH Pro League season didn’t have the desired outcome for the U.S. women’s field hockey team.
Holding the Americans to just two shots in the game, China scored twice in the third quarter en route to a 4-0 victory at Changzhou’s Wujin Hockey Stadium on Saturday.
For China, the win closes out the Pro League season and moves the squad into seventh place in the standings ahead of Great Britain and the U.S., which remains in last place with one more game to play.
“I think we fought really hard but lacked a little finesse in our basic skills today,” U.S. coach Janneke Schopman said via a team release. “Our biggest take away will be that despite the circumstances, we can still play our own game and do our own jobs first, not trying to do too much.”
After dropping a 3-1 decision to the Americans at Spooky Nook last month, No. 10 China came out firing on Saturday. The host squad had three shots and three corners in the opening quarter, but two were deflected over the top of the goal while the other corner attempt was turned away by Warwick graduate Alyssa Manley.
The pressure continued in the second period, with U.S. goalie Kelsey Bing making a pair of big saves in the 20th minute. China would find the back of the net before halftime, however.
Using quick passes, China got the ball up field to Li Jiaqi at the edge of the circle. She then spun to her left and slid the ball forward to Pen Yang by the left post for the final push over the goal line with just over a minute on the clock.
The action picked right up after halftime, with Bing diving to stop two shots on scrambles on front of the cage. Li Hong then intercepted a pass near the 25-yard-line and sped through the defense, but her backhander lofted over the crossbar.
China would get its second goal a minute later. Taking advantage of her team’s fifth corner, Gu Bingfeng sent a low drag flick into the right corner of the cage.
The Chinese lead would grow to 3-0 in the 40th minute as Zhang Xiaoxue sent a rocket across the goal and clanging into the left side of the backboard.
No. 12 Team USA opted to make a change in goal, bringing in Jess Jecko, and finally seemed to get something going offensively. Both U.S. shots came in the 44th minute, starting with a backhander from Erin Matson that was saved, but earned the Americans their only corner of the game.
Captain Kat Sharkey fired a straight shot that was also turned away by Chinese goalie Li Dongxiao, but the rebound bounced out to Matson. Standing by the left post, the midfielder swept the ball into the open corner of the cage, but there was no goal as the ball hit her foot before the shot.
Instead, the next goal came a minute into the fourth quarter. Xiaoxue brought the ball up from midfield and found Gu Qiu alone on the right side for the quick flip past Jecko to put the game away.
Xiaoxue earned Player of the Match honors, while the game also marked a milestone for Team USA’s Kelly Marks, who earned her first international cap.
Team USA returns to Lancaster for its final Pro League game next week. The Americans will host FIH No. 5 Germany at the Nook Saturday, June 22 at 7 p.m.
Tickets are still available at USAFieldHockey.com and the game will be streamed online by Bleacher Report Live.
Credit: Source link
Tyson Fury vs Tom Schwarz LIVE RESULTS: Heavyweight showdown in Las Vegas TONIGHT – updates, start time, TV channel and stream details
Credit: Source link
Arun Kumar Shaw died in Kolkata following prolonged illness. (Representational Image) © AFP
Seven-time national champion swimmer Arun Kumar Shaw died in Kolkata on Thursday following prolonged illness, Bengal Amateur Swimming Association confirmed in a statement. Shaw, 82, is survived by his wife. Shaw, who was the first swimmer from the state to receive the Arjuna Award in 1967, bagged his maiden national championship in 1958 as a member of the Bengal team before joining the South Eastern Railway.
Shaw won national championships in 1959, 1962, 1964, 1965-67 and set national records many times.
Shaw was also a national selector for several years.
Paying homage to Shaw, Bengal Amateur Swimming Association said in the statement:
“We pay our respectable homage to the departed soul of Arun Shaw and pray Almighty may his soul rest in peace.
“We have also received a condolence message from Shri Virendra Nanavati, Vice-President, IOA and CEO, Swimming Federation of India, which is also sent to you for your kind information,” Bengal Amateur Swimming Association president Ramanuj Mukhopadhyay said.
Credit: Source link
Andy Murray was handed the toughest of challenges on his return to ATP Tour action, alongside Feliciano Lopez, in the Fever-Tree Championships doubles draw on Saturday.
Competing for the first time since undergoing right hip surgery on 28 January, Murray and Lopez will face top seeds Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in one of many blockbuster first-round clashes at the Queen’s Club.
View Queen’s Club Doubles Draw
Joining Murray and Lopez in the top quarter of the draw are #NextGenATP talents Felix Auger-Aliassime and Alex de Minaur, who face Daniel Evans and Ken Skupski. Juan Martin del Potro is also featuring in the doubles draw, partnering fellow Argentine Horacio Zeballos against defending champions Henri Kontinen and John Peers in the first round. Jamie Murray and Neal Skupski, who made their tour-level team debut at the Libema Open, open against Nicolas Mahut and Edouard Roger-Vasselin.
In the bottom half of the draw, second seeds Mate Pavic and Bruno Soares will meet Lucas Pouille and Stan Wawrinka. Five-time champions Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, bidding to lift the trophy for the first time since 2013, face wild cards Luke Bambridge and Jonny O’Mara. The winner of that match will meet defending singles champion Marin Cilic and partner Ivan Dodig or the winning team from the doubles qualifying draw in the second round.
View Halle Doubles Draw
Kubot/Melo Bid For Third Straight Title In Halle
Lukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo will open their campaign for a third straight NOVENTI OPEN title against Wesley Koolhof and Matwe Middelkoop. The two-time defending champions are joined in the top half of the draw by Roland Garros champions Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies and two-time finalists Alexander Zverev and Mischa Zverev. Kubot and Melo have defeated the Zverev brothers in the past two championship matches in Halle.
Second seeds Raven Klaasen and Michael Venus are aiming to end a 16-month title drought, dating back to last year’s Open 13 Provence. The pair has reached two ATP Tour championship matches this season, with runner-up finishes at the ASB Classic and Internazionali BNL d’Italia. Third seeds Nikola Mektic and Franko Skugor will be hoping to add to their title collection, after lifting their first trophy as a team at the Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters in April.
Credit: Source link
MIAMI (AP) — Pablo Lopez pitched seven strong innings and allowed three runs to help the Miami Marlins beat the Pittsburgh Pirates 4-3 on Saturday night.
Garrett Cooper and Harold Ramirez each had three hits for the Marlins while Starlin Castro knocked in the go-ahead run in the fifth.
The Pirates have lost eight of nine.
Lopez (5-5) gave up seven hits and one walk. He struck out four. He is 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA over his last four starts.
Sergio Romo pitched around a one-out single in the ninth by getting Melkey Cabrera to bounce into a game-ending double play to earn his 12th save in 13 opportunities.
Cooper is hitting .360 (32 of 89) with six home runs and 18 RBIs over his last 23 games.
Pirates’ 24-year old right-hander Dario Agrazal, a native of Panama, made his debut. He pitched four innings and allowed six hits and three runs, two earned, while striking out three.
Cooper singled and Brian Anderson dropped in a double to right field to begin the fifth off Geoff Hartlieb (0-1). Castro grounded out to third scoring Cooper for a 4-3 lead.
Kevin Newman‘s base hit started the scoring in the third for the Pirates, who added two runs in the fourth on a base hit by Josh Bell and a double by Corey Dickerson for a 3-0 lead.
The Marlins tied it in the fourth with three runs on a base hit by Harold Ramirez, a throwing error by second baseman Adam Frazier, and a single by Jorge Alfaro.
Pirates: RHP Trevor Williams (side) is nearing a return. “Trevor’s feeling good and we’re intending to start him Wednesday against Detroit,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “Everything has gone well.” . C Francisco Cervelli (concussion) is scheduled to be re-examined by the neurologist in the next couple of days. . RHP Keone Keta was transferred from the 10-day injured list to the 60-day. “Keone began a throwing program Thursday in Bradenton and responded well,” director of sports medicine Todd Tomczyk said. “Based on the time down, he will need a period of time to be built back up for Major League competition.”
Marlins: LHP Caleb Smith (hip) threw for the first time. “I know he’s excited to be playing catch and get on the field,” manager Don Mattingly said. “This is kind of the start of getting him ready. I don’t want to put a timetable on it, but hopefully it’s something that’s not going to be a long time.”. IF Jon Berti (oblique) and OF Peter O’Brien (ribs) are advancing with baseball activities.
Pirates: RHP Chris Archer (3-6, 5.73 ERA) is looking to bounce back after allowing a career-high five home runs in a 7-5 loss at Atlanta in his last start.
Marlins: RHP Sandy Alcantara (3-6, 3.67) has allowed one earned run in 20 innings over his last three home starts.
Credit: Source link
I just read your post on emotionally unavailable men.
Mine is a weird story but I’m thinking now that my guy falls into this category. He broke up with me over text, first of all. We’re both in our later years so this, in my opinion, is very rude at any age.
He came on strong at first, started betting busy with his life, then texted me he can no longer date as his 17 year old is going through issues that he would not discuss. He said something about depression and suicide counseling.
We had only dated for 3 months and I get the issues but he claimed to love me and that I was the “woman of his dreams”.
My question is would you dump the girl of your dreams if your life got hard and your kid needed some guidance and support? I would have expected some down time but dumped? I got a sweet card that said nice things about being in his heart and I ran into him the other day and he seemed sad but I just don’t get it. Am I being selfish? Was he simply emotionally unavailable or is this a normal response?
I’m sorry you’re hurting, Eve. Getting unceremoniously dumped is an awful feeling and receiving the news by text certainly doesn’t make it any better.
However, I would encourage you to step back from this situation — as I’m attempting to — and refrain from making it about you for a second.
This is what dating coaching is all about — stepping out of your own shoes and attempting to understand the thoughts and behaviors of someone else.
I don’t know your ex from Adam, but then, I’m not sure I need to, given this one piece of information: his 17-year-old is going through depression and contemplating suicide.
That is everything and you’re writing about it as if it’s a minor part of the story.
It’s not. It’s the ENTIRE story.
If your teenager is grappling with life and death, everything else falls by the wayside, and it’s not for me (or you) to judge how he feels he should best handle the situation.
- Some men would lean on you for support during this trying time.
- Some men would realize they have nothing to give right now and break up.
Neither option involves handling the situation improperly, just differently.
But your question doesn’t seem to acknowledge this. Everything is framed in terms of how it affects you, like you can’t even consider what it’s like to be a scared and overwhelmed single parent with a desperately sick child who needs all of your love and support.
I think there’s a big difference between declaring someone temporarily unavailable due to a crisis (like this) as opposed to permanently unavailable
So, I’m going to throw in a third option:
- Some men would rather have no girlfriend than one who can’t muster the empathy to see the big picture.
As far as whether your ex — or any man — is emotionally available, I think there’s a big difference between declaring someone temporarily unavailable due to a crisis (like this) as opposed to permanently unavailable (because he’s scarred and incapable of intimacy and commitment).
I can’t say which he is but I can say that whatever his response to his crisis, it’s not wrong. It’s just what he has to do. And if you’re the woman of his dreams, you’ll understand and support him wherever he’s at. Good luck to both of you.
Credit: Source link
Fifty-six-year-old Conrad Sipa of Colts Neck was convicted in April of murder, a weapons offense, hindering apprehension and evidence-tampering.
Prosecutors said he used a knife, a golf club and a lamp in November 2015 to kill 60-year-old Richard Doody, a retired 29-year veteran of the New York fire department from Staten Island.
Defense attorneys argued that Sipa was defending himself against an intoxicated and belligerent Doody, the best man at his wedding.
Sipa reiterated that defense Friday, saying “I am not a violent man, I did not commit murder. I acted in self-defense.”
The judge rejected defense calls for a new trial or a 30-year term.
(© Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Credit: Source link